U.S. states counted separately from territories. Source.
A million or more U.S. military personnel: maroon
Between a hundred thousand and nine hundred ninety-nine thousand nine hundred ninety-nine U.S. military personnel: red
Between ten thousand and ninety-nine thousand nine hundred ninety-nine U.S. military personnel: yellow
Between one thousand and nine thousand nine hundred ninety-nine U.S. military personnel: lime
Between one hundred and nine hundred ninety-nine U.S. military personnel: aqua
Between ten and ninety-nine U.S. military personnel: blue
Between one and nine U.S. military personnel: fuchsia
* U.S. African Command is exceptionally tiny.
* Troop presence does not determine Major Non-NATO Ally status or visa versa.
* Israel, Equatorial Guinea, Ethiopia, Vietnam, Pakistan, and France -all U.S. allies- have very few U.S. troops, thus demonstrating that, in quite a few instances, alliances do not rest on military bases.
* Al-Qaeda’s demands the U.S. military leave the Arabian peninsula have been met with dismissal.
* America’s vast network of military bases is largely situated in North America, the NATO countries, the Middle East, and the Western Pacific, in that order.
Why 2010 and not this year? Because 2010 was the year the Arab Spring began.